Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hermione & Harry? Not Hermione & Ron?

By now, I'm sure just about everyone who has any idea of what Harry Potter is has seen J.K. Rowling's new statements about how she would change the conclusion of the relationships between Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

I've got a lot of thoughts on this, and I can see both sides of the argument. And while I can justify why J.K.
Rowling said what she said, I can't say that I like it. Funnily enough, though, I have no reason even to write how I feel because Erin Strecker, in a letter on EW.com, has put to words everything I feel. (GO READ IT.) I was honestly going to talk more about this, but after seeing the letter, I have no need to do a whole lot of talking.

Yes, an author's book will always be their creation, their baby, and they have the right to say what they want in regards to it but it's so important to remember that when a book is put into a reader's hands, this book--for better or worse--becomes a part of their life, big or small. They have experiences, memories, and feelings associated with this book. When it comes to Harry Potter, millions of readers and movie viewers have made Harry part of their lives. Millions will always remember the time and place they fell in love with Harry Potter and every little tweak to the world J.K. Rowling makes alters her audience's view. I think this is paramount to remember.

That's all I'm going to say, but I want to know how y'all feel! Were you shocked at J.K. Rowling's statements? Or were you a justifed Harry/Hermione shipper? How do you feel about her coming out with new revelations about the world more than 5 years after the final book's release? And in general, how do you feel about any author revealing information, especially regarding changes they would make now, following its release?

No comments:

Post a Comment