Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate



Release date: December 8, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 452
Format: Hardcover
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Ebook available from: Barnes & Noble | Google
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.
So pretty... :) Anyways, I started Fallen with only a vague realization of what it was about. I picked it up, just to stroke the pretty cover, and just started reading. I didn't have any preformed opinions or ideas, and I felt that helped me enjoy the book more than I might've if I had read more about it.

I was immediately intrigued by what had happened to Luce, and snapped up every little morsel of information about it hungrily. And, I did LOVE the prologue. I just can't help but get a bit excited with 19th century setups, no matter what other qualms I have with a story.

Despite Mr. Smolder's (Daniel's) odd entrance, I was intrigued. I didn't find him too appealing for much of the book, but eventually he grew on me, and I'm hoping seeing more of him not being a jerk will make me like him more. Honestly, I was all for Cam for most of the book, just because he was (seemingly) normal. Also honestly, I wanted to kill Luce for all her pining after Daniel for most of the book. I mean, she really got into some mild stalker territory, in my book. Little bit creepy... Once things came into the light, I couldn't rationalize wanting to kill her anymore, though she kinda was dumb.

Mmmmm, supporting characters. I liked Penn and Arianne. Penn reminded me a bit of myself: not comfortable at parties, nerdy, but super nice (At least, I think I am.) Arianne was fun and goofy, and many times a good relief to Luce's serious broodings on her "unfortunate" (Why quotes? I'm not finding it so unfortunate.) love triangle.

Fallen was really just an okay read for me, but despite that, I really couldn't stop reading it and I am excited to read Torment very soon. AND OH! We were reading Paradise Lost in my lit class while I was reading this. I thought it was good picking on my part. :)

Risk a paper cut? Erm... I could go either way on this. If you're a fan of angels, let's say yes. If you want to punch girls who like jerk guys, let's just go ahead and say no way.

No comments:

Post a Comment