Friday, August 19, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson

From Goodreads:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
The idea of Possession worked a lot better for me than the actual book. While there were stretches where I found myself enjoying the book, there were also stretches where I was completely and utterly confused or just annoyed. There are positives, but also negatives. Also, the cover is magnificent. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the butterfly encased in an ice cube.

First, my negatives. I'd like to get them over with, so I can point out what I enjoyed. The biggest problem for me was a lack of explanation. The reader is dumped into this completely different world and offered no information about it. We learn as we go along, and this can be okay, but not so much in Possession. Vi mentions and sees so many things the reader is unfamiliar with, and rarely gets much of an explanation, until it was completely necessary.

I also was a fan and not a fan of the relationship between Vi and Jag. The times where they actually liked each other I thought they were cute. But, the relationship became way too intense way too fast. It just wasn't super realistic. I also could not understand how their emotions toward one another changed so quickly either. One moment Vi would be sooooo in love with Jag, the next she'd hate him. I know this happens, but it was constant for them, and didn't feel right. 

Lastly, I just didn't feel much of a connection to Vi. I can't really pinpoint why this was, but it's a fact. That's about all I have to say about that. :)

For the positives, I thought the basic ideas behind the world (at least what I could find out) were interesting. The book definitely went in places I didn't expect, and I liked that. I didn't anticipate that there would be something inherently different about Vi and Jag that made them so special. I just thought it'd be because they didn't like what was going on. I'm always happy when books go to interesting places that I don't expect.

I also liked Jag, in his way. I'm such a sucker for guys who will do just about anything for the girl they love. I don't care that that's a bit of a trend; I will love them to pieces every time.

While I mostly just liked the book, I am anticipating the sequel. Possession ended abruptly, and I really would like to know what's going to happen next! Surrender will be released in June 2012, and I will be waiting. :)

 

Risk a paper cut? Big fans of dystopia will view it as a must-read, if only because it's dystopian. Possession is a decently enjoyable, if confusing, read for everyone else.

To buy: Amazon


A copy of the book was provided by the publisher through Simon PulseIt for review.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Awesome!
    Nice post!
    Thanks, Rachel, you make my day!

    ReplyDelete