Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

From Goodreads:

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
I have not made it a secret how much I enjoyed The Iron King. It's kind of sad how much of a squeeing fangirl I have become, and I am sorry ahead of time. :) I'll try my best to tone my squealing brains down in type.

Well, I finally found the love triangle that's been mentioned! I could see where it was going to come from in The Iron King, but it wasn't so present. I GOT IT NOW, YOU GUYS. While I really love Puck, Ash has stolen my heart for ever and ever, no contest. I have to get my love for Ash out before I can coherently voice thoughts... Onto the meat and potatoes!

Meghan has really grown from the beginning of The Iron King, and while she was slightly pitiful at the beginning of the book, she ends the book even stronger than before. She has really grown a lot throughout the books, and I really enjoy reading from her point of view now.

I also loved the action! The Iron King had varying degrees of action throughout, but once The Iron Daughter starts its action, it seems to never quit. It made for a very exciting and engaging read.

One of Julie Kagawa's biggest strengths in this series are her secondary characters, especially Grimalkin. Each character that gets any real time seems to be well-developed and individual. I loved Grimalkin last time, but as tons of other people have said, I was surprised at how much I like Ironhorse. He proved to not just be tough, but a fiercely loyal and trustworthy ally. I'm glad he got to show his true colors. I also feel like the Nevernever is kind of a character in and of itself; this is different from a lot of books, where the setting is just a setting.

I don't want to say much about plot, since I wouldn't want to spoil anything for people, but if you enjoyed The Iron King, you will love The Iron Daughter. I promise!

Risk a paper cut? Fans of faery books or The Iron King will tremble in their boots at how good it is! I would recommend the series to anyone, though.

To buy: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment